Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Track Etiquette

Monday night, I headed over to the local Stanford track to do some strides. Who do I see on the track, but a friend and fellow teammate, Vanessa. She was running strides with another girl. I said hey and she introduced me to Stephanie and told me she was running for a different team now. I'm a bit bummed, but it seems like a good choice for her since she focuses on the track. She and Stephanie were about to run a workout of 200s. Amazingly enough, the Stanford track had the inside lanes open, which I've only seen at track invitationals there. Wow. So Vanessa and Stephanie were using Lane 1, I was out on Lane 5/6 and there were a bunch of joggers running on the outside lanes of the track as well. Part way into their workout, some dude started jogging with headphones on in the first lane. As the pair of ladies rush by me, I scream "TRACK!" at the guy and he looks around and gets off the track too late. They had to run around him. About a quarter of a lap later, he is still jogging in Lane 1 with his headphones on. I double back, "Excuse me, sir. Can you please jog in the outside lanes? Usually, there are barriers up, but since they are doing a workout..."

"What are the outside lanes?" he asks.
"Lanes 4 and up."
"Oh ok. There wasn't any sign saying that."
"It is just a common track...thing," I said. I wanted to say "It's common track courtesy," but I felt that would be too rude. But DUDE! JOGGING in Lane 1? Most tracks say "Joggers to the outside lanes" It is just rude to block someones shortest-distance path when they are hauling.

For those that don't know Track Etiquette. A quick lesson:
  1. When someone yells, "TRACK!" get out of their way. Either jump onto the field or go to an outer lane.
  2. Don't listen to music on a crowded track where people are doing workouts, strides, drills, or anything else where it looks like they are moving fast. You need to be fully alert on a track. This is for your own safety as well as the safety of the speed demons. It isn't very much fun to be smacked into at the smackers top speed.
  3. Joggers and walkers belong in the outside lanes. (aka Slow traffic keep right)
  4. Look both ways before crossing the track (or a lane). Some people run strides (sprints) and drills up and down one straight-away.
  5. If you are at a less crowded track that isn't rubber-coated, running on the inside lane is fine. But if you see someone starting to run fast in the first lane, kindly move to another lane.
  6. If you are doing a workout in the first lane, and someone is doing a faster workout, move to Lane 2 to allow them to pass. Then you can move back to Lane 1.
  7. If you are doing a workout in the first lane, jog all your recovery in an outer lane.

I guess this boils down to "Fast Traffic Has the Right-of-Way" and "Don't wear down the first lane unnecessarily" and "Be aware of your surroundings". Hope that enlightened somebody.

Morning Weight: 146.5
Miles Today: 7.5
Other Exercise: Biked to work, situps
Total Miles this Week: 29

No comments: