Tuesday, August 23, 2005

More Perspective

They just posted the individual results from the XC race from the weekend, and now I'm feeling even better about my "poor" time. Our fastest woman of the day, who ran under 19 minutes for a road race 5k this summer, came in at 21:02. That is pretty slow. I was only 2 minutes behind our first woman, and 1:30 behind our second. This means that I can probably run a low-21/high-20 for a road race, which is better than last year at this time. I only ran one 5k at that pace last year, and that was in October. Plus, I came in 34th out of 55, which is also better than last year. Last year, I was easily in the last 25% of the race, and now I'm beating 38% of the field. Even if I remove the last 3 runners (who were high school students and were just dragged to the race by their coach, who happened to be the very same first woman on my team...), then I am still in the middle 1/3rd portion of the race! That's a nice boost. My time didn't change, but my attitude did and sometimes that makes all the difference. I've been rejuvenated!

Swam a mile today and felt good after. I'm going to buy a few swimming books for some workouts and to improve my form and flip-turn technique.

Morning Weight: 145.5
Miles Today: 6
Other Exercise: 1 mile swim
Total Miles this Week: 25.5

No comments: