Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Morro Bay XC's Training Secret

Oh man. I should have put emphasis on the word "should" in the last sentence of my last post because I've felt like a slug since that day. Well, yesterday evening wasn't too bad. I ran the "longer" way from work and did it about 10 minutes faster than the last time I ran that way, so I was pleased, but I still felt pretty icky.

Probably the main reason why I am still stiff and tired from Thursday is I figured out why MBHS' Cross Country team is so darn good at hills. Everyone already knows the obvious reasons like how their coach is amazing and they run hill repeats once a week. What they don't know is there are no possible non-boring runs in Morro Bay or Los Osos that are flat! Holy cow! And where was I this holiday weekend? Oh, at my parents' in Los Osos. I already knew this secret deep down, but after running mostly flat runs the last few months with one or two hilly runs a week, and after running that crazy hill-packed run on Thursday, every little incline was icky this weekend! My dad thinks that the 5.5 mile loop we do is fairly flat, but I count 5 hills on that sucker. And there pretty much is one every mile. I vow to run more where there are hills. This means that my easy days are probably going to be out and back on Sand Hill instead of a loop around Stanford.

This week's goals:
48 miles
147/8 lbs.

I think that I'm just going to focus on mileage right now and then speed workouts. So I'll try to do the speed workouts my coach wrote when I'm feeling good, but I won't stress them.

Morning Weight: 150.5
Miles Today: 7.5
Other Exercise: None
Total Miles this Week: 31

No comments: