Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wente Vineyards RR 2008

My first real bike race ever, and I was so nervous my hands were shaking. Someone mentioned at the line that I'd feel better once we started. Unfortunately, I haven't ridden in a pack like that with my new bike and the nerves became worse so that my bike was wobbly too. I just sat at the very back for the first mile or so, and then moved up before the first turn.

I'd practiced this course a few weeks prior and new that the next turn was a huge grade-shift. Several ladies passed by to get a better position. When we started up the hill, I got stuck behind a much slower gal and more of the pack passed me as I tried to get around her. Finally able to pedal freely, the leaders continued to pick up the pace and I was dropped about 3 miles into the 35 mile race. A few of us got together and traded pulls to get back on, but we weren't strong enough. I attacked the front and no one followed. It looked like it was going to be a 30-mile time trial.

About half-way through the first lap, I passed a couple gals in my race. One caught up with me later and we traded pulls until the hill on the second lap, where she was another one of its victims. I think negative-split'ed that hill the three times I climbed it. Next time I race this course, I'll warm up first. I figured I was warmed up because it felt like it was 95 degrees out. Anyway, my soigneur was lovely enough to give me two full water bottles on that hill and I was absolutely grateful. One more lap!

The next lap was the same as the first, except now the older men were passing me and I don't think I passed anyone. Maybe a couple of junior boys. I finished though -- apparently in the middle of all the finishers of my race.

No comments: