Monday, October 26, 2009

Humboldt Half 2009

Even though I didn't really race this one, I want to write a quick report as it was my first half marathon that I've actually entered in, and there are some points that I'd like to capture. First of all, this was the most gorgeous race I've run. It probably helped that it was longer and that I wasn't focused on running fast, so I could enjoy the scenery. The course was out and back along a road that took us through giant redwoods. Most of the time we were in their shade, but sometimes the light would filter through the needles and it was lovely. *sigh*

Second, it is important to note that no matter how much talking and mental prep-work I do beforehand, I'll still get a thrill out of passing people. The goal was to run between 8 and 8:30 minutes/mile pace. I believe I ran 51:25 for the out-leg (about 7:50/mile), and I only was able to do that by making a deal that if I stayed at an 'easy' pace back I could run faster on the way back. Of course, the return leg was about 49 minutes even though it was slightly farther. Weee!

Third, having a gel at the turnaround was great and the first time I've ever taken food while running faster than easy pace. So, that was cool.

Lastly, they have BEER as an age group prize! I was so lucky that very few fast people were in my age group and I got one. Local brewery too. Yum!

All in all, I don't hate half marathons like I hate 10ks. It all depends on the first experience.

No comments: