Tuesday, December 20, 2005

2005 Tamalpa Challenge

First race with a cast. It was a short cast, but I had had only 11.5 days of healing before the race, so I was racing very carefully. Have you ever run with the awareness of trying not to fall on trails for 30 minutes? It makes you much slower AND unbearably sore the next several days too! It felt as though I hadn't been training! Where did all that cross training go on the elliptical the week before? Ouchie. A cool lady passed me at mile 3 (in the 4.25 mile race) and encouraged me, "Let's go get the SLUGS!" (There were UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs running the race). When I tried to catch back up to her and didn't within the half minute of silence, she pants, "Come on, already!"
I breathe back, "I'm trying! My legs won't move!" Eventually, I catch her on a hill and say, "Last hill...".
"Really?" she asks.
"I think so."
Unfortunately, she didn't stay with me and I beat her. I felt a little bad about finishing ahead after all that encouragement, but we did both beat at least one slug. =)

Yes, I really did talk that much at the end of the race. My lungs were totally fine; my legs were the slowing down factor.

No comments: