Sunday, September 13, 2009

Golden Gate Park Open 2009

Did I meet my goals? Barely no.

The course is two, 2-mile loops of grass, dirt trails and a bit of sand in places with a log-jump thrown in for good measure. A bunch of us were wearing Garmins during the race and pinned the total distance between 4.08 and 4.14 miles. Mine recorded 4.09.

The legs did feel less snappy than at Santa Cruz, and the terrain was a little more slippery too, especially since I was wearing my XC waffles from HS and somehow they were a little too big. Weird. Hopefully, I'll get used to this new training intensity for the next race at Garin (in 2 weeks.)

I tried to go out conservatively, but that only worked for the first 300 meters and then I started passing people and got excited and motivated to pass more people until I petered out a little before mile 1. That is when people started passing me. I passed a few people who looked like they suddenly pooped out and a few going my pace, but overall I believe I was in the negative side of passing people the last 3 miles. I think I was positive in the uphill or downhill sections, but those silly flat parts...

According to the Garmin, my first mile was 6:36. Not bad. ;) My first 2 miles were 13:43 and the second two were 13:52. According to the race markings, my first lap was 13:48 (I think that is what it said...maybe it was 13:58?), and the second must have been 14:13 (or 14:03? that makes a bit more sense...), because I finished in 28:01. That's two seconds out of may goal. So close. But, it was exactly 30 seconds slower than Santa Cruz. heh! Magic 30 seconds.

I would like to note that my average heart rate for the last mile was 200. I didn't know I could hold that rate for that long, but I guess I was working hard...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a success! Sorry I wasn't there. No mention of the thunder and lightening from that morning.

Speedy said...

Haha! Oh yeah. I thought that was only on the East Bay, because when we got to the Peninsula, there wasn't any of that. It did sprinkle a little bit during the cooldown, but no thunder stands out to me.

Unknown said...

There was a HUGE clap of thunder around 9, it was quite impressive, but perhaps that happened when you were en route or distracted. I found myself wondering at the time it happened if you were running.